Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My First Embroidery Project


My first foray in to embroidery was watching my Mother do it patiently on her sari’s, on my little frocks or a little bear on my brother's cap. I admired her for how she transformed a simple frock of mine into a colorful flowery frock. At age 10 or so, I started learning the basics of hand-embroidery. It started with a simple chain stitch. I loved how I could play around with a simple needle and thread. Then came the stem stitch, satin stitch...and then the list grew. I was a proud little girl when I completed my first project: a fancy embroidered hand kerchief. I also did a few more small projects like embroidering my initial on my pillow cover, embellishing my first sari with my art and of course the beginners cross-stitch project. But somewhere down the line, I lost touch with this art I had once fancied.


Fast forward to July 2007: Recently, I visited a local craft store and found a wide range of embroidery stuff and this triggered the interest I had lost long ago. I got home a set of colorful embroidery threads and needles. I don’t have a Sewing machine at home so I bought a ready-made table runner. And then I started..... doing what I liked.


This is how it looks and I love it!!!!!!!!!!! What do you think?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey this is real talent.... I only thgt you were good at things I knew you did like basketball, studies, yapping with us, and other things we did together.... but this blog shows me a different you.... i mean, cooking and embroidery... Wow... You are really Good dear... keep it up...

kavita said...

I had never seen the embroidery part, you surely have overall talent, as my husband puts it "an all-rounder". The leaves specially with different colors either side looks amazing, should have taken a month to get it done? good job G..

Grihini said...

hey thankyou prema and kavita...i am glad u folks liked it. That inspires me to do more, only if someone showed me how to get some patience!

KonkaniBlogger said...

Hey, very nice work..I like doing embroidery too, but ages now since i havent touched any..

Shweta Verleker said...

its beautiful